Sunday, February 14, 2010

New Year's Eve with John and Lila (by Audra Nuttall)

I stopped Ben at the funeral yesterday to share with him that I was privileged to spend New Year's Eve with John and his new bride and his kids.

It wasn't my party. Jed and Amanda Miller invited us over for New Year's Eve and they are the ones that had invited John and his family. Phillip was there too, along with his wife and baby. Jed and Amanda had other couples there from their ward and it was a great night. Travis and I went to the party thinking we would leave at 10 p.m. and go home to the kids, but we stayed past midnight and had one of the best New Year's Eves ever. Really. (And that isn't just looking back with rose colored glasses.)

The party consisted of ROCK BAND (my favorite part was playing the drums), Italian sodas (thanks Luncefords), and gluten free chocolate cake (ah, Amanda, we love you!). Before John and Phillip arrived at the party, Amanda and Jed were telling us the good news that John and Lila had eloped just 2 days ago on Dec. 29th. Amanda and Jed were sharing with us how happy John was and it was good to see him in a good place. Everyone had the highest of hopes for John.

When the Larson crew arrived at the party, Phillip had his baby boy strapped to the front of him and he was a proud Papa. I remember John making fun of his brother and Phillip's need for attention and his $250 jeans. We all gasped at the thought of $250 jeans and had to check out Phillip's expensive taste. Phillip went on to explain that he is tall and needs custom jeans and I remember a funny banter between the brothers. I don't remember exact phrases, but I remember thinking it was good that Phillip had a brother that could "put him in his place."

I also remember John snuggling on the couch with Lila. I remember him paying more attention to her than anyone else in the room (well, duh! They did just get married 2 days before). John was attentive with his kids, too. I remember John's kids playing in the back rooms with Amanda's kids, but if and when they walked in the room, John stopped what he was doing and immediately paid them attention, asked them what they needed and helped save the day. I don't remember John playing ROCK BAND, but he might of. I seem to remember him having more fun making fun of those of us playing ROCK BAND. That makes me smile.

At midnight, we passed out poppers and noise makers. I remember John helping his kids with the poppers and then helping clean up the mess on the carpet. I just remember a good night.

I was never cool enough or young enough to have a nickname from John, but the Larson family has weaved their way in and out of my life for many years. Travis and I knew Ben and Becca at BYU. Travis and Ben were in the Engineering program together and Becca and I worked at the Morris Center. It was Scott and Bruce Larson that brought us to Phoenix with Travis' job offer at American Engineering/ RBF Consulting. Thank you Larson's. We love Phoenix. We moved into Scott and Laura Larson's ward. Paradise Lane. Ah! Good memories. Travis worked with Phillip in Young Men's and I taught Kaitlyn in Activities Days. Becky is friends with Amanda Miller and Amanda brought me closer to all of the Larson's since she grew up here. I knew all of the Larson's kids by name, but never really "knew" them. I just wanted to share my most recent memories of John. I hope others will add to my memories, too. Amanda, any pictures?

I want Lila and John's parents and siblings and children to know that the Nuttall's are praying for you in your time of need. I know the Comforter is there for all and I pray for your comfort at this time and throughout your life.

1 comment:

  1. I wasn't cool enough to have a nickname either. John and I weren't close, but I remember how entertaining he always was. He was always well loved and very popular, evidenced by the attendance at the funeral. He will be greatly missed, especially by his family and friends.

    ReplyDelete