Sunday, February 14, 2010

Memories from Jim Baker

I have so many fun memories of John. I moved across the street from John about the time he was born. We’ve played together since the time we were babies. I can remember playing hide and go seek in Larson’s house, spending the night and climbing up to the top of the tree house in my back yard. I can remember missing the bus on purpose, so we could walk to school together. We would stop at circle K on the way and he would buy candy bars and share with me. We had so many campouts together. We went on wild dates together. He always had the craziest ideas. I remember going to savers and finding the silliest, ugliest clothes and picking up our dates dressed ridiculously. One time we got a flat tire in old blue on the freeway, so there was a bunch of guys dressed like clowns on the side of the road changing the tire on an old beat up van. Another crazy night was when we went and ate a fancy dinner on the top of the parking ramp at the airport. After we were done eating our fruity pebbles, we got lost and ended up in a not so friendly neighborhood. My engine broke and we rolled to a stop at a gas station at 32nd Street and Van Buren. While we were waiting for someone to rescue us, we were approached by drug dealers and prostitutes. Our dates were terrified. We always had thrilling adventures. Whether some crazy thing happened or not, we could always count on John to make things interesting. He was always so unpredictable and creative. It made things exciting and fun. This is one of the things I loved most about him. I like so many others have been blessed by his compassion. I remember several times as children, him giving me his toys that I liked to play with. We were at Zia Records one time and John had a couple of cd’s that he really wanted. I showed him the one I wanted to get; only I didn’t have enough money. He put his cd back and bought the one I wanted for me. I tried to get him to put it back, but he refused and bought it for me anyway. As I look back and reflect on my memories of John I feel lucky to have him as a friend. He always made me laugh, he always made me happier. I love you John and I miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment